Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 4

I've had a very busy week, so this update is a little late....

Week 4 certainly continued with some of the same challenges of Week 3.  My ankle is still not better, and the pain has traveled up my calf.  I've decided that I really need to get to the doctor to have it checked out.  This is just too long to be injured, and it's very frustrating.  I'm trying to keep my spirits up and think positive!  I'm really at a loss as to what's wrong, as there hasn't been really any swelling or bruising.  Just pain.  Maybe I pulled a tendon or a muscle or something?  I'm ready to do whatever it takes to make it better!

Labor Day Monday, I went out to complete my scheduled 4 mile run.  I mapped out my course online, wrote it on a sticky note, and carried that with me.  I didn't want to get lost, you see!  I set my Nike+ iPod for 4 miles, headed out the door, wound my way through neighborhoods, and connected with  a nice running trail.  Things were going well, and I kept my eye out for my exit.  But time went on, my iPod kept updating me on my status, and I couldn't figure out how I had gone that far without reaching my exit.  Finally, I was congratulated on meeting my 4 mile goal.  Humh.  At this point, I'm supposed to be at my front door, but I'm still on this trail.  Long story short, I ended up walking an additional 6 miles to find my way back home -- all in all, over 10 miles on an empty stomach, sore ankle & calf, and newly blistered heel.  I've decided that I need a GPS every time I leave my house - whether it be in car, on foot, or on bicycle.  Man!  I'm a mess!  Hahahaha.

The week went on and I was able to log a few more miles before our group run on Saturday.  We had a 60 minute run scheduled, and I was able to shuffle my way through it all, only stopping to walk once for 2-3 minutes.  My ankle was hurting, but these group runs really keep me motivated, so I just kept going!  I iced my ankle for 3 hours afterward.  :)

We also had a couple of special guests join us this week.  The MTV show The Real World is currently filming in DC.  Each cast member is required to do some public service and one of the cast members, Ashley has decided to volunteer with CCFA Team Challenge.  Ashely provided our mission moment on Saturday.  She was diagnosed with Crohn's when she was 15 and has gone through many ups and downs since.  Her mother also has Crohn's and has had it even worse than Ashley herself at times.  Just as they are coming to terms with having 2 people in their family with IBD, Ashley's brother is starting to show the all-too-familiar symptoms.  Ashley wants to help in any way she can in bringing increased awareness to CCFA and IBD.  Hopefully The Real World can show some great positive footage and bring awareness to a whole new level!

We also had  Ryan Goodale come and visit.  He is an 8 year old little boy who was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's and was our guest of honor.  Ryan and his family have already been active members of the CCFA community, participating in Take Steps for Crohn's & Colitis - DC this past June.  Ryan was also able to attend Camp Oasis in WV this summer and his Mom raved about it.  :)  This is so awesome to see people taking advantage of the services that CCFA offers, and hearing about how valuable they are!!  These are the kinds of things that your donations are going toward.

I have truly enjoyed this whole experience so far.  I just hope my ankle/calf can heal up so I can keep on going full force!!  Thanks for everyone's support.  If you would like to donate but haven't yet, September is the month to do it!!


**Special Announcement**
An anonymous donor is willing to support our team and has provided us with a fundraising challenge.  This donor has challenged our team to raise $30,000 in the month of September.  If we accomplish this goal, they will donate $6,000 towards our overall team fundraising goal!!!
THANK YOU!!!

No comments: