Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 3

This week was particularly challenging!  Last Saturday after my group run, I helped a friend move and somehow managed to twist my ankle.  I didn't realize I had actually done this, however, until I went for my scheduled run on Monday.  By mile 2, my ankle was really aching and when I was finished with my run, it HURT.  Tuesday morning I got up to strap on my shoes and I could hardly put any weight on my left foot.  DANGIT!  I took a couple of days off of running, bought myself an ankle brace, spent several hours icing it, and managed to go for a slow 3-mile run on Thursday.  Friday it hurt again, so I took that day off of running as well, so that I could hopefully perform somewhat on the group run on Saturday.

I figured this would be the perfect time to get new running shoes.  My old shoes are about a year and a half old and probably weren't doing much for me anymore besides keeping my socks from coming in contact with the pavement.  So I made my way to a running shop where the Team Challenge running coaches work.  As with everything Team Challenge, they were extremely helpful and supportive and I even got 10% off for being part of it all!

Saturday came around and I was asked to give the Mission Moment.  I was a little nervous, just because this process has already been pretty emotional for me, but I was happy to do so anyway.  I mostly held it together [ :) ] and was able to share with everyone why I have decided to commit to this fundraiser, running challenge and important cause.  I was able to tell everyone about Tami & Matt, how 10 years ago they were both in the hospital for 3 months at the same time, and how it had affected me.  I let everyone know that the reason why I'm doing this is because it is my way of saying "I love you".  It's my way of actually being able to help them in some way and to challenge myself physically.  Tami & Matt have gone through so much physical pain and challenges over the years and I haven't been able to help ease their burden.  Whenever I'm running and feel like I can't go any further or feel like I need to stop, I think of them and will myself to keep going.  I have been blessed to have a healthy body.  I am not afflicted with chronic pain.  My running 'pain' is nothing compared to what they have gone through.  They keep me motivated and I'm so grateful that I have this excuse to keep them in my thoughts every day.  I am SO happy that I have a means of raising money to help find a cure for Crohn's Disease!

As was expected, everybody in the group was gracious and encouraging after my Mission Moment.  This really has been such a great experience so far.  I love meeting new people in our group and hearing their personal stories.  I love these group runs!  I was able to run a little over 4 miles on Saturday without stopping.  !!!!  This is HUGE for me!  I may have run at a slower pace than a lot of people, but I was so proud of myself.  And even though both my feet were completely numb afterward (weird!  Maybe I laced my shoes too tight?), my new shoes felt great and my weak ankle didn't feel nearly as painful as it did on my Thursday run!  Shoes really do make a huge difference.  Last week I was scheduled to run at least 17 miles and I was only able to run 11.  Hopefully this week I can stay on schedule and complete all my 21 miles.

On a fundraising note, WOW!  I am so impressed by all the generous people who have donated!  I am more than half-way to my target amount, and hope that I can greatly exceed it!  I may even adjust it to reflect an even higher amount.  This will be awesome if I can commit to raise even MORE to help find a cure!  Thanks to all those who have donated this week to help me with my personal goal and also help our team achieve our group goal!  I am optimistic that we can do this!  I will continue to post this announcement throughout the month.


**Special Announcement**
An anonymous donor is willing to support our team and has provided us with a fundraising challenge.  This donor has challenged our team to raise $30,000 in the month of September.  If we accomplish this goal, they will donate $6,000 towards our overall team fundraising goal!!!

THANK YOU!!!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Emily I think that what you are doing is great. You will do well. A half marathon is very "doable". I am proud of you.