Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week 1

I had been waiting for weeks to attend an informational meeting about the CCFA Team Challenge Half Marathon Fundraising and Half Marathon Training Program.  I was so excited to learn more about this event!  Throughout the meeting, we heard what Team Challenge is all about, how they support and help raise money for Crohn's and Colitis research, and what it means to be part of Team Challenge.  We heard from several different people: Our fundraising and Team Challenge Manager, one of our Running Coaches, a Team Challenge Mentor, and our Honored Teammate who has been living with Crohn's Disease for 20 years.

I was equally inspired and excited to take on this challenge!  That night I signed up for the race to run in honor of my sister Tami and brother Matthew, and committed to raise $2300 on behalf of Crohn's & Colitis research before the Team Challenge Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on December 6th.  I left with a lot of information and got started on setting up my fundraising website the very next day.  I posted the link on my Facebook page and as of today I already have 2 donations!  Wow.  I am truly grateful.  I plan on ramping up my fundraising efforts this week by sending out letters and emails, creating a Facebook page, and visiting different businesses to ask for donations.  I've never done ANY fundraising before (not even selling chocolate bars in elementary school), so I feel very nervous.  In fact, the day after the informational meeting, I was sick to my stomach all day long thinking about what lay in front of me.  But I am willing and committed to do all it takes!

The other half of my challenge involves training for the half-marathon.  I have NEVER been a runner.  In fact, I've always hated to run.  I've never signed up for a 5K or any other organized running event.  So to jump from only being able to run a mile or 2 without stopping to running an entire half-marathon is almost as intimidating as raising the money for the event!  We had our first training session yesterday morning at 8AM.  Those of you who know me know that I am NOT a morning person.  So getting up early each Saturday morning over the next 15 weeks and trying to make my body actually do something, is going to be a great accomplishment in and of itself!  I am an evening work-out person.  I've tried several times to get up early and work out before I start my day, but it has never really been successful.  I get sick to my stomach and am very lethargic when I try to do physical activity early in the morning.  BUT!  I guess I will train my body to deal with it!  :)  It helps to have a group of people that are relying on me showing up and running with them.  This is exactly the program that works for me.  I need  a goal in mind and somebody to answer to.

This Saturday we started out a little easy -- we ran at our own pace for 30 minutes.  Everybody there was encouraging and positive.  I loved it!  Afterward, we separated in to groups and was assigned a Mentor.  This person will help us stay motivated and support us in our fundraising efforts.  I'm really excited to get to know them better and become friends.

I will update my blog each week with my progress and efforts!  Check back often!!

No comments: